Our Chapter History
The history of National Charity League can be traced back to 1925 when a small group of women in Los Angeles, interested in philanthropic work, met together and called themselves The Charity League. They worked quietly, doing Red Cross work, making layettes and assembling and delivering food baskets to the needy at holiday time. A few daughters met with their mothers to help; one of these daughters was the future Mrs. Paul William Lawrence, considered the founder of National Charity League.
By 1938, daughters of The Charity League decided to form their own group. Organized under the guidance of Mrs. Bruce Anderson and Mrs. Lawrence, this was the first youth group of Charity League. At the first meeting, the name Ticktockers was chosen by the girls.
In 1947, The Charity League was incorporated and renamed National Charity League. It was at this time that the mothers chose to take the name Patroness. The reorganized nonprofit corporation became the original mother-daughter charity organized solely for philanthropic, educational and cultural purposes.
On June 6, 1958, the Los Angeles Chapter amended its bylaws to change its name from National Charity League to National Charity League – Los Angeles Chapter. This paved the way for a new corporation of national significance, National Charity League, Inc. This new corporation was dedicated to expanding its vision and giving more mothers and daughters the opportunity to experience NCL. New NCL, Inc. Chapters continued to form, embracing the purpose of NCL and established Chapters.
National Charity League, Inc. now has over 185 Chapters in 22 states with more than 50,000 total members, and in 2008 celebrated 50 years of success and growth. All Chapters embrace the philosophy of strengthening the mother-daughter relationship and the communities in which they exist through philanthropic work and the development of future community leaders. We may all be proud of our legacy and grateful to that small group of women in 1925.
For more than 50 years, National Charity League, Inc. (NCL), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, has thrived as one of the nation’s most distinctive and well-respected mother-daughter membership organizations. The Woodlands Chapter was founded in 1986 by a small group of interested mothers and daughters and received its Charter in 1988. Our chapter is composed of over 200 active mothers and daughters, in addition to our alumni, organized to initiate and encourage charitable endeavors and to foster the Mother/Daughter relationship in philanthropic, cultural and leadership training.
In our local community, we volunteer our time to various philanthropies and support deserving philanthropies financially through fundraising. 100% of our profits from our fundraising efforts are donated back to our community.